Tag Archives: 911

What should I do if I’m being followed?

perspective by Flavia

perspective by Flavia

Followed on Foot
If you are being followed and you fear of getting attacked, get in to a public place if there is one near you. If not contact the police immediately. If you have already attacked by this person then scream for help so others around will be aware of the current situation.

Followed on vehicle
In the case that you are being followed and you are in a vehicle, do not drive to your home. The person that is following you clearly wants something from you and taking them to your home may cause further harm in the future for you. While driving call the police immediately so no further harm proceeds. If in US/Canada call 9-1-1 if in Europe call 1-1-2, if in Mexico call 0-6-6.

What do I do if I see someone having a heart attack?

Fire Department paramedics, 2000 by Seattle Municipal Department

Call 9-1-1 in the US/Canada or 1-1-2 in the UK

Try not to panic and call the emergency team

If you witness a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, immediately call 911 if in US/Canada, or 112 if in the UK. The team will come and help you deal with the problem do not try doing anything yourself unless told to.

Heart damage

If not treated within a specific time frame, the person can suffer from further heart damage that may be fatal. Some patients with heart attacks die before they reach the hospital so the number one rule is don’t panic and call right away!

A tree fell on my property. What do I do?

Tree On House

Devastation in Tuscaloosa by USACE

A homeowner’s nightmare: rain, thunder, roaring winds, and all of the sudden you hear a loud falling sound and see that one of your trees has fallen onto your house.

Below are some specific steps you should take:

Make sure everyone is safe and accounted for
This seems like a no-brainer, but in an emergency situation, especially if kids can be involved, make sure you know where everyone is.

Keep everyone in a safe place
Fallen trees can cut power lines or cause gas leaks. If you see a downed power line, make sure everyone avoids it. Downed lines can electrocute and kill. DO NOT try to grab it and keep your kids away from it. There have been cases of people taking videos with their phones when a wire hit a puddle and the current reached them. If you smell gas, that can be trouble too. If you can, turn off all electricity and get away from the house, as far away from cut lines as possible and move toward a place where you can have shelter.

Call the police
Dial 9-1-1 in the US and Canada, 1-1-2 in the UK. The police can walk you through all necessary steps and can send the right personnel to help with any wires, fires, gas leaks, or other problems. They can also guide you with what to do regarding first aid if anyone is injured to most help that person before ambulances arrive.

Call your insurance
The insurance will help with any clean-up and can provide you with who to call to get your roof, fence, and other property repaired. They will also help you in dealing with damage to neighbors or from neighbors. Take plenty of photos once it is safe.

If you have trees that tend to overgrow, keep them trimmed and get records from the tree-trimming company. If you’re in an area where high winds can occur, contact local home inspectors for further advice–it can save you a lot of time, money, injuries, and could possibly save lives.

When can I contact the police?

Emergency Call Box

Emergency Call Box by Adrian Nier


You can call the police at any time of the day. Police emergency networks work around the clock.

If you find yourself in a situation that needs the support of the police, fire, or ambulance services, never hesitate to call 9-1-1 US/CA (1-1-2 UK).

If you ever see suspicious activity or see someone’s life, health, or property in danger you should call the police.

What do I do if I get into an accident?

Car Accident by Morgan

Car Accident by Morgan

If you get into a car accident, remove yourself and your vehicle out of harm’s way. If you hit an object or obstruction, call the police, and they will come help you with the damage. If you have hit another vehicle, you must be in contact with the owner of the vehicle.

Reporting an accident

For parked cars, leave a note explaining the situation, and put your contact and insurance information. Hopefully the person will get in touch with you. For in-motion accidents, talk to the other person and figure out how you’re going to handle the situation—either out of pocket, or through your insurance companies.
Make sure to take photos of the damage, accident scene, location of accident, and any documentation to send to your insurance agent. You will need to report any and all accidents to them to get the situation settled.

A tree fell on my car. What do I do?

Aftermath by Damian Morys

Aftermath. by Damian Morys

Call the police

If you go outside and realize that a tree has fallen on your car, you immediately want to call the emergency services. You call either 9-1-1 if in US/Canada or 1-1-2 if UK, and inform the service about your problem. Make sure not to touch your car, don’t get in and don’t attempt to lift the tree by yourself.

Comprehensive coverage

Once the emergency services comes, they will file the issue and lift the tree off your car, for which you will receive free coverage by insurance. The insurance which offers full coverage for such disasters is called comprehensive coverage, stating that they will repair your vehicle if a tree falls from a storm or wind, or if it’s just a dead tree.